[horde] Horde_Imap_Client-2.3.1 does not work

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu Dec 6 21:20:21 UTC 2012

> I can't stress enough that while we only require PHP 5.3.0, people
> should REALLY be using the most-up-to date PHP versions and should
> NOT be using PHP versions installed via a distribution package.

To clarify:

It's one thing to be an API change that was made in a specific PHP
version.  This can be worked around and is known at the time the code
is written.

However, the present issue is entirely a PHP issue - not a Horde/IMP
issue.  The code added to Horde/IMP is 100% valid code according to
the PHP 5.3 documentation.

The problem is that people are relying on 2+ year old software.
Distribution packaging may work for a user application.  It does not
work for a package that contains a documented, final-word API, like PHP.

Running a 2 year old programming language interpreter (+ security
patches!) is not acceptable in the real world.  This is just another
example.

michael