[horde] Configuration Suggestion

Simon Brereton simon.buongiorno at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 00:54:09 UTC 2012

On 20 December 2012 19:39, Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org> wrote:
> Quoting Simon Brereton <simon.buongiorno at gmail.com>:
>
>> It would be really nice if when configuration options change that the
>> new options are in some way highlighted perhaps just by some css
>> shading.
>

> How would this work?  The old configuration file is no longer available so
> there's no way of knowing what has changed.

Until the new configuration is written, the old one is available -
evidenced by the fact that a), the document isn't yet overwritten and
b) that values are preserved.

>> Ideally, for one release cycle, I'd propose that old options
>> remain (but are not editable - but I'm pretty sure I'll be told that's
>> what the change log is for.
>>
>> Nonetheless, I think it's a sensible enhancement for overworked admins.
>

> That's what docs/UPGRADING is for.
>
> If you want to guarantee a value doesn't change after an update, you should
> define it in your *.local.php file.

It's less about preserving a value - it's about finding the new ones
that have been added or removed!  In Imp, which I've just done, there
are 30 odd, across 5 tabs - not so difficult.  In Horde, which I am
about to do there are 36 tabs!  And I will have to go through each one
to find out where there's a new preference - and that's a lot easier
than finding one that isn't there any more.

Please take this as constructive criticism, because really all I'm
doing it suggesting improvements to the user experience.  You and Jan
probably look at the configuration options many many more times than a
normal admin who, probably only looks once during setup unless there
is a specific issue (and it's testament to the product that there
aren't many, meaning even less time spent looking at 200 config
options.

Cheers.

Simon