[horde] PHP version via distribution package

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Sat Jan 5 19:51:12 UTC 2013

Quoting Samuel Wolf <samuel at sheepflock.de>:

> Hi,
>
> question after this comment in the bugreport [1]..
> "Versions of PHP distributed via a package (i.e. Debian) is not acceptable."
> ..horde need the current PHP version and horde do not support
> distributed PHP package of Debian/CentOS/SuSE/RedHat?
>
> Or is there a distributed server os which horde support (including
> distributed PHP package)?

See: http://marc.info/?l=imp&m=135483412513123&w=2 and various other
messages in that thread.

The Debian PHP package is known to be broken.

When it is stated that Horde 5 requires a version of PHP 5.3.0+, this
means that we only use PHP features that are available as of PHP 5.3.0
(i.e. the PHP 5.3 API).  It DOES NOT mean that Horde is guaranteed to
work bug-free with any particular version of PHP 5.3.x.

PHP 5.3.3 is 2 1/2 years old (it was released in July 2010).  There
have been ***17*** releases since then that have fixed thousand(s) of
bugs (http://php.net/ChangeLog-5.php).  Running a server on PHP 5.3.3
makes zero sense.

michael