[horde] portal handling of HTTP connection errors sub-optimum

Jens-U. Mozdzen jmozdzen at nde.ag
Wed Jan 9 14:33:38 UTC 2013

Dear Horde team,

as I don't know if errors in the portal should be discussed in the
"horde" list or in the specific one for each portal block, and the
reported behavior covers more than one block type, I chose horde at lists:

I'm logged in to my H5 server via a remote connection, then the
Internet link went down for several minutes (proxy problem somewhere
in the client's upstream network).

IMP (open in one of the browser tabs) notices this and pops up the
login window. That's ok.

The browser tab with the H5 portal shows the following text at least
in the portal blocks for "webmail:newest unseen" and "webmail:mailbox
summary"... and iirc "calendar:calendar summary" as well.
(Unfortunately, I had already re-logged-in in the IMP tab and
auto-refresh corrected the display after that. Fortunately, I had
already c&p the text :) )

--- cut here ---
/*-secure-{"msgs":[{"message":"\/horde\/login.php?url=%2Fhorde%2F&horde_logout_token=91b3AoIOkEq4Jhw86y2hzg5&logout_reason=6","type":"horde.ajaxtimeout"}],"response":false}*/
--- cut here ---

The corresponding AJAX handlers should IMO check if the AJAX response
actually delivered data, and display a more user-friendly message
instead (Something like "an error occurred"). OTOH, the portal could
simply switch to the login screen like IMP...

Regards,
Jens