[horde] Can't add Outlook meeting request to Kronolith

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu Jan 10 00:05:22 UTC 2013

Quoting Oscar del Rio <delrio at mie.utoronto.ca>:

> On 01/ 9/13 04:50 PM, Michael M Slusarz wrote:
>> Quoting Oscar del Rio <delrio at mie.utoronto.ca>:

>>> Similar error when accepting event invitations from Exchange users
>>> but with "Eastern Standard Time" here.
>>>
>>> HORDE: [ID 702911 user.emerg] [kronolith]
>>> DateTimeZone::__construct(): Unknown or bad timezone (Eastern
>>> Standard Time) on line 285 of "/var/php/5.3/pear/Horde/Date.php"
>>
>> That also isn't a valid POSIX/GNU C-ish timezone (a/k/a from the
>> tz/zoneinfo DB: http://www.twinsun.com/tz/tz-link.htm).
>>
>> These are the only timezones supported by PHP and, for that matter,
>> most software: http://php.net/manual/en/timezones.php
>>
>> It *appears* that these are Windows tzid's, which are not
>> supported.  Someone will need to write conversion software to map
>> to a valid TZ.  See, e.g.,
>> http://unicode.org/repos/cldr-tmp/trunk/diff/supplemental/zone_tzid.html
>
> It seems to be already available, from egroupware.org.  Can it be
> used in horde?
>
> Found it here:
> http://svn.stylite.de/egwdoc/nav.html?calendar/setup/tz_aliases.inc.php.source.html

1) The code is released under GPL.  However, the two most logical
places to put something like this (Horde and/or a framework library)
are released under LGPL.  So we'd have to do some annoying packaging
tricks to work around this.
2) It seems to me the proper solution would be to ignore the TZID
information when the Icalendar data contains the timezone offsets (as
in this case).  But I will defer to our ical experts to comment on this.

michael