[horde] IMAP overhead?

Patrick Boutilier boutilpj at ednet.ns.ca
Fri Feb 22 02:06:29 UTC 2013

On 02/21/2013 08:14 PM, Michael M Slusarz wrote:
> Quoting Patrick Boutilier <boutilpj at ednet.ns.ca>:
>
>> I have noticed that when IMP is configured to use hordeauth then
>> almost every link you go to in Horde or apps like Turba makes an imap
>> connection to the IMAP server. Horde itself is configured to use LDAP
>> authentication.
>>
>> Is this by design?
>
> Are you talking about the basic view?  If so, the IMP folder tree needs
> to be built on every page, which needs to poll for new mail.
>
> This doesn't happen in the other views.
>
> michael

> Michael Slusarz [slusarz at horde.org]

Happens in dynamic view too. Even the initial login to Horde tries to
login to the imap server defined in IMP.  We noticed it because we are
testing an LDAP server for authentication and using it for Horde login.
Our imap server is not using this LDAP server for authentication so the
passwords can be different. We noticed that if a user's imap password is
not the same as the LDAP password the user can login to Horde with the
LDAP password but there is a long delay logging in and when clicking
links. Delay is caused by failed imap login attempts.