[horde] Fwd: [Tickets #12069] Re: Kronolith meetings don't show Organizer

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Wed Feb 27 15:16:34 UTC 2013

Quoting simon at simonandkate.net:

>> Quoting Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:

>>> Just because a ticket is old or not acted on does NOT mean that we
>>> have forgotten about it, don't care about it, or are not interested
>>> in fixing/implementing it. It means it is not as easy of a fix as a
>>> non-developer might believe and no developer currently has the time
>>> to volunteer to get it fixed. Bombarding the mailing lists with
>>> calls to get it fixed or "bumping" the ticket will not change this
>>> fact. The fact of the matter is, non critical related
>>> tickets/features/bugs that are not being sponsored are not at the
>>> top of the list. Things that are not sponsored are done as
>>> developers have the free time and interest. It's not an ideal
>>> situation for you, but it's a side effect of Horde being FOSS.
>>
>> What Mike said.  I'll add that some enhancements require a rewrite of
>> the application/framework architecture, so they may be darn near
>> impossible when first floated but become feasible 5 years later.
>>
>> I would love to implement collapsible threading in IMP, which is
>> enhancement ticket #3000 something.  A combination of architectural
>> issues and priorities have prevented me from doing so to this point.
>>
>> michael
>
> Whilst I take your points, and thank you for the reassurance that
> the old tickets are not forgotten.... "Bombarding the mailing
> lists"? I sent one email quoting a ticket that likely a lot of
> mailing list users would not see, to genuinely question it in the
> community (which by its silence has spoken about how much of an
> issue they see it as). Is this community not for open discussion?

I was not strictly speaking about your response(s). Mine was a general
comment, since there seems to have been a tendency to this type of
behavior/attitude lately on the various mailing lists and support
channels. That being something along the lines of, "it sounds like a
simple fix, why hasn't it been done (for free) in the last x
years/months/whatever". If things were really so simple, they would
have been fixed.  My apologies if you took this personally, and I
admit it read a bit on that side.

> Seems a little harsh to call that bombarding. Nor have I bumped any
> ticket related to this question, so I'm not sure where that came
> from either.
>
> Anyway, moving on... is there a way to "+1" feature requests or bugs
> or similar, as some places have, to provide opportunity for your
> user community to give input on what they think important? How do
> you prioritise what is in the queue and is getting attention? Do you
> publish this information?

We prioritize things pretty much the way I already described them.
While I can't speak for other developers, I'm sure we all do similar
prioritizing for the code we are responsible for. For me, it's like
this:

1) Security and other high-impact bugs take first priority.

2) This is followed by features/bug fixes that Horde LLC is being paid
for. I also try to fix/implement low hanging fruit during this step.

3) After that (for me I very rarely get to this point) I work on stuff
that I have been promising or promoting for the longest, or things
that have had large discussion in the lists. For example, Ansel has
been dry rotting since Horde 5 development started and needs to be
refactored just so it can be released (with no real new functionality
that I was hoping for) in the upcoming releases planned from
April-ish. For me, getting a full application ready for a late release
trumps individual minor enhancement requests.

4) Repeat (3) based on priority in bug tracker, personal interest,
widest impact etc...

I also set aside dedicated time to review my various custom bug
tracker queries and related saved emails at least twice a week to be
sure I haven't forgotten anything important...and, yes, the ORGANIZER
issue is on that list, along with about a dozen others.

> I know it's FOSS, and it is truly awesome FOSS. Having now used for
> about 6 years, nothing comes close. Thank you for providing it, I
> realise that at times it must be a thankless task. Special thanks to
> Michael R for taking the time to explain the calendaring sequences
> and changes in the ticket that this email came from. Your patience
> is appreciated, and I am really looking forward to the changes.
>
> I take the time to feedback issues and bugs (and yes I know I have a
> lot in the last few weeks), and to troubleshoot my Horde installs,
> not just for my own install, but because it gives me a feeling that
> I too contribute to the end result.

..and we absolutely thank you (and others) who spend a considerable
amount of time to help track down these issues instead of just giving
up on the software or hoping someone else will discover it. It truly
is appreciated and is part of what makes our software so great.
Personally, I know that the ActiveSync implementation has benefited
greatly from your input. We understand not everybody is a developer
(but sometimes forget this) and appreciate the patience people like
you show in tracking down issues we have a hard time
understanding/reproducing.

> Oh, and +1 to Kronolith getting ORGANIZER support... ;-p

Understood :)

--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)