[horde] Recommended Apache config

lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de
Tue Apr 2 14:27:48 UTC 2013

Zitat von Vilius Šumskas <vilius at lnk.lt>:

>> > The only thing which is not mentioned in INSTALL docs is that you
>> > need mod_rewrite module for the Apache.
>> >
>> > Other settings are really out of scope of the install documentation
>> > because there are too many different webserver configurations out
>> > there. You cannot prepare to them all. It's up to system
>> > administrators to know what they are doing.
>>
>> If these settings are vital for the working of a application it should
>> be included in the documentation, even more if it was not necessary
>> before. If have run all webservers with "AllowOverride None" until now
>> because i have never needed it. It is common pratice to disable all
>> unneeded things, so simply blame the admin is lazy to say at least.
>> With the above argumentation one could also delete the test.php script
>> and the documentation about enabling PHP.
>
> IMHO this goes under the same category as "it is recommended to
> *not* use root MySQL user but create a separate user and give it
> access to Horde database". MySQL is a requirement, but configuring
> and properly securing an environment is totally the job of the
> administrator. In your case Apache + mod_rewrite is a requirement,
> but allowing Apache to use .htaccess files is totally different
> story. It has nothing to do with laziness, it's just simple best
> practices/know-how every admin should know.

No, enabling mod_rewrite is *not* sufficient to run the application,
at least in case of Nag. So it *is* different from the "it works but
not recommended" case of the MySQL database.
It should be documented that:
a.) Horde needs mod_rewrite
b.) Horde needs the mod_rewrite settings listed in the .htaccess files
either by enabling .htaccess files or by merging it in the main.config

> As for the mod_rewrite requirement itself, yes, INSTALL files could
> be adjusted.
>
>> > Regarding .htacess vs httpd.conf file I suppose the documentation
>> > talks about administration global settings. When settings need to be
>> > adjusted per application level .htaccess files are the only option
>> > to have a good out-of-the-box experience. I suggest to *not* try to
>> > merge them because it is too much work. A) the performance
>> > difference is negligible, b) they will be recreated on next "pear
>> > update" anyway, c) you would need to follow .htaccess changes as
>> > Horde versions progresses and apply them to your configuration.
>>
>> That's exactly the kind of pointers which should go to the documentation.
>
> Yes, into Apache documentation, or into PEAR management documentation :)

The Apache/PEAR documentation documents the details/possibilities of
Apache/PEAR. The Horde documentation should document the needs of
Horde and point to Apache/PEAR docs for the details.

> This is not Horde specific. Any other web application which needs to
> use .htaccess files have exactly the same installation issues.

Of course, but if these web applications are quality ones they list
the .htaccess requirement...

Regards

Andreas