[horde] Horde Groupware Webmail in BitNami

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Apr 16 23:03:08 UTC 2013

Quoting Vilius Sumskas/LNK <vilius at lnk.lt>:

>> Thanks for your feedback. We will add the same configuration options
>> that webmail-install script. We also add an option to configure with
>> GMail easily and we will document how to configure it with Dovecot or
>> other IMAP servers.
>
> The configuration between Dovecot, Cyrus, etc. is not so different. As Jan
> already pointed out if you want to include different IMAP configurations
> you should explore the following posibilities:
>
> 1. Local IMAP server without SSL/TLS support.
> 2. Local IMAP server with SSL/TLS support.
> 3. Remote IMAP server with SSL/TLS support (probably a posibility for a
> user to specify hostname in the installer).
> 4. Gmail IMAP.
> 5. Fastmail IMAP.
> 6. (IMAP provider X).....
>
> P.S. Remote IMAP without SSL should not be included as it is a potential
> security threat obviously.

+1 to Vilius' comment about TLS(SSL) connections.  NO connection other
than to localhost should ever be allowed to a remote IMAP server by
default without encryption (per the RFCs, IMAP servers should not
allow this by advertising the LOGINDISABLED CAPABILITY).

You might want to put POP3 examples in there also, although POP3 is
highly NOT recommended for webmail usage.

michael