[horde] kaPow...

Michael Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Wed Apr 24 06:45:18 UTC 2013

See http://kapow.cs.pdx.edu to figure out what it is.

I had to modify templates/login/login.inc and js/login.js to integrate
kaPow into horde.

Noticeable problem, the puzzle system must be down right now.  When the
kaPow puzzle server is down the way I've added kaPow to horde, it isn't
possible to log in.  Another problem with kaPow, one has to be online
even if he can access the web server horde is hosted on from a local
area network.  This is because the puzzle server I'm connecting to is at
Portland State.  If I could set up a puzzle server on my local area
network and use that, that problem would be solved potentially.  Another
tact to take, change the way kaPow is integrated so that solving puzzles
gets bypassed when the client is local.  The server being remote is only
an issue for local clients.

I'm hoping as kaPow develops that using it can become a standard option
in horde.  The modifications to use kaPow, if anyone is interested, are
fairly simple.  One needs a few kaPow specific php files and a
javascript file, which are available on the web site.  Basically, the
log in html form is modified to run the puzzle solver when a username
and password are entered.  The puzzle is solved by the client computer,
not the human sitting at it.  This takes time, so if the cost is high
enough and leveraged against a malicious client, the client will very
likely give up and go after an easier target.  If the puzzle solved is
useful, that is an added bonus.

For now I have login.js.original, login.js.kapow, login.inc.original,
and login.inc.kapow where I appropriately set two symbolic links.  I'm
linking to the original files right now.

If kaPow using the Portland State servers works for someone else now,
I'd be interested in hearing about that as the problem I'm having may be
related to my Internet connection.