[horde] Proxy errors to downstream Horde server

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Mon Jun 10 14:16:44 UTC 2013

Arjen has given you good answers in other replies, but I'll just
elaborate on a few of your questions.

Quoting Simon Wilson <simon at simonandkate.net>:

> A quick config change to the proxypass timeout with
> "connectiontimeout 300 timeout 300" makes no discernable difference,
> so even with 5 minutes timeout I am still getting just as many of
> the 502s.
>
> How long should the ping process take? and how do I identify when it
> starts finished in the device log?

Depending on the version of EAS your client uses, and how well the
client is implemented, you may have either long running PING requests
of long running SYNC requests (later versions do away with PING,
wrapping the functionality into SYNC).

In the log, it starts (obviously) with the incoming PING or SYNC
commands. The same procid should be seen looping while waiting for
changes. The requests ends when one of the following occurs: a change
is detected in one of the monitored collections, the heartbeat expires
(up to 59 minutes), or another SYNC request was issued by the client
which alters the SyncCache (this would happen if the user manually
syncs the client while the PING is already running). Either way, you
should see the outgoing PING or SYNC response being sent to the server
indicating that no changes were detected during the heartbeat.

> From what I can see a pid is held from the auth request at the start
> of a PING through to that pid disappearing from the logs for between
> 2 and 4 minutes.

Under normal circumstances, this wouldn't happen. Though, it's
possible that either you or your client are requesting a below normal
heartbeat. Otherwise, it would only be this short if one of the above
conditions were met.

> Or is there something else that it continues to do that needs to be
> kept alive for the PING request?

A PING or long running SYNC is required for push, so the connection
must remain open.

--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)