[horde] storage backends suggestions

Mark Holmes mark at mark.net
Thu Jun 27 20:57:52 UTC 2013

I also attempted to get this to work with the packaged version of redis and php-redis in centos 6.4 and had issues with the php side probably the redis package as well
but i didn't bother testing much since the centos package as usual is old.

I would recommend downloading and building the redis software from http://redis.io/download

and get the pear package for it from

pear channel-discover pear.nrk.io

pear install nrk/predis

make sure you place the stock redis.conf file in /etc and
modify the conf file for your requirements. i.e. having redis run daemonized...

Here's an init script that will work retrieved from https://gist.github.com/paulrosania/257849 but i made some path changes so it will work
with the redis you just installed.

#!/bin/sh
#
# redis - this script starts and stops the redis-server daemon
#
# chkconfig: - 85 15
# processname: redis-server
# config: /etc/redis/redis.conf
# config: /etc/sysconfig/redis
# pidfile: /var/run/redis.pid

# Source function library.
. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

# Source networking configuration.
. /etc/sysconfig/network

# Check that networking is up.
[ "$NETWORKING" = "no" ] && exit 0

redis="/usr/local/bin/redis-server"
prog=$(basename $redis)

REDIS_CONF_FILE="/etc/redis.conf"

[ -f /etc/sysconfig/redis ] && . /etc/sysconfig/redis

lockfile=/var/lock/subsys/redis

start() {
[ -x $redis ] || exit 5
[ -f $REDIS_CONF_FILE ] || exit 6
echo -n $"Starting $prog: "
daemon $redis $REDIS_CONF_FILE
retval=$?
echo
[ $retval -eq 0 ] && touch $lockfile
return $retval
}

stop() {
echo -n $"Stopping $prog: "
killproc $prog -QUIT
retval=$?
echo
[ $retval -eq 0 ] && rm -f $lockfile
return $retval
}

restart() {
stop
start
}

reload() {
echo -n $"Reloading $prog: "
killproc $redis -HUP
RETVAL=$?
echo
}

force_reload() {
restart
}

rh_status() {
status $prog
}

rh_status_q() {
rh_status >/dev/null 2>&1
}

case "$1" in
start)
rh_status_q && exit 0
$1
;;
stop)
rh_status_q || exit 0
$1
;;
restart|configtest)
$1
;;
reload)
rh_status_q || exit 7
$1
;;
force-reload)
force_reload
;;
status)
rh_status
;;
condrestart|try-restart)
rh_status_q || exit 0
;;
*)
echo $"Usage: $0 {start|stop|status|restart|condrestart|try-restart|reload|force-reload}"
exit 2
esac