[horde] Production Caching Strategy for Horde 5.1 on PHP 5.5

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Wed Jul 3 10:55:46 UTC 2013

Hi, as PHP 5.5 rolls out, we're preparing and evaluation PHP 5.5 for
openSUSE Factory. We did not decide yet if we include the latest php
5.4.x or php 5.x.

As of PHP 5.5, the APC bytecode cache has been given up more or less.
The APC userland cache has moved to a new APCu module which SHOULD be
compatible. Bytecode cache is optionally provided by a new standard
extension which is based on the formerly closed source Zend Optimizer+
product.

Has anybode experience running Horde 5.1 on PHP 5.5 so far?
What is the most current suggestion for
$conf[cache][driver] and $conf[cache][use_memorycache] for production?

With one production system, we are currently using a tmpfs based file
system for $conf[cache][driver] and PHP 5.3 APC for
$conf[cache][use_memorycache].

We are thinking about using HashTable with redis but we are not sure if
we should keep the file based cache or go for only one line of caching
and drop the in-memory cache.

Based on earlier suggestions, we use filesystem for
$conf[cachecssparams][driver] and $conf[cachejsparams][driver] instead
of Horde_Cache settings.

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer