[horde] Production Caching Strategy for Horde 5.1 on PHP 5.5

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Jul 9 17:47:34 UTC 2013

Quoting Ralf Lang <lang at b1-systems.de>:

> Hi, as PHP 5.5 rolls out, we're preparing and evaluation PHP 5.5 for
> openSUSE Factory. We did not decide yet if we include the latest php
> 5.4.x or php 5.x.
>
> As of PHP 5.5, the APC bytecode cache has been given up more or less.
> The APC userland cache has moved to a new APCu module which SHOULD be
> compatible. Bytecode cache is optionally provided by a new standard
> extension which is based on the formerly closed source Zend Optimizer+
> product.
>
> Has anybode experience running Horde 5.1 on PHP 5.5 so far?

No.

> What is the most current suggestion for
> $conf[cache][driver] and $conf[cache][use_memorycache] for production?

There is no suggestion.  It depends on your system/setup.

> With one production system, we are currently using a tmpfs based file
> system for $conf[cache][driver] and PHP 5.3 APC for
> $conf[cache][use_memorycache].
>
> We are thinking about using HashTable with redis but we are not sure if
> we should keep the file based cache or go for only one line of caching
> and drop the in-memory cache.

Once again, this would depend on things like the read/write times to
any given level of cache.  Memory caching only becomes useful if the
storage part of the cache is slow (e.g. SQL reads).

> Based on earlier suggestions, we use filesystem for
> $conf[cachecssparams][driver] and $conf[cachejsparams][driver] instead
> of Horde_Cache settings.

You absolutely must do this, or else things won't work from the
browser-side.  Browsers will cache identical paths on GET requests
regardless of the query parameters, so it is impossible to reliably
serve cache data from a single endpoint.

michael