[horde] Authentication issues

Steven Swarts steven at swartsit.com
Tue Jul 23 11:07:58 UTC 2013

On 23/07/2013 5:11 PM, Ralf Lang wrote:
>>> You almost certainly don't want TLS on port 993. TLS is normally on
>>> port 143 (the standard IMAP port).
>>>
>> Forgive my ignorance but why is that?
> Because there is a difference between imap/starttls and imaps.
> imap/starttls should run on standard imap port while 993 is usually
> associated with imaps.

Ok that makes sense.

So would this be better?

// IMAP server
$servers['imap'] = array(
     // ENABLED by default; will connect to IMAP port on local server
     'disabled' => false,
     'name' => 'Server',
     'hostspec' => 'localhost',
     'hordeauth' => full,
     'protocol' => 'imap',
     'port' => 993,
     // Plaintext logins are disabled by default on IMAP servers (see
RFC 3501
     // [6.2.3]), so TLS is the only guaranteed authentication available by
     // default.
     'secure' => 'ssl',
);

The only reason I am harping on about port 993 is that is all that
works. I've tried connecting via 143 TLS and it doesn't work - Something
obviously wrong with Postfix/Dovecot I believe or again more likely my
lack of knowledge.

I did read above that it was deprecated in favor of TLS on 143, but
without knowing how to set that up, i'm a little stuck.

Regards,
Steve