[horde] Clarification of "User is not authorized for imp"

Kareem Dana kareem.dana at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 02:05:48 UTC 2013

I know the "User is not authorized for imp" error is widely talked about. I
just want to clarify something about the error. I am receiving it even
before attempting to login. I am able to login just fine and everything
works. So I just want to confirm when that error appears in the logs.

I just installed a fresh horde 5.1.2 and imp 6.1.3. Imp is configured to
handle authentication and imp connects to dovecot. If I directly go to the
url http://192.168.1.5/horde/imp, Horde redirects me to horde/login.php and
shows the standard login page, but it also throws up the following well
known error in the logs:

Jul 28 20:46:44 test1 HORDE: User is not authorized for imp [pid 21092 on
line 267 of "/usr/local/share/pear/Horde/Registry.php"]

If I go to just http://192.168.1.5/horde, then I get no error in the log.
In both cases, I am able to login just fine and everything works.

Is this the expected behavior? I am assuming in the first case, because I
am trying to directly connect to "imp", it notices that I am not logged in
and therefore am not authorized for imp, throws that error in the log file,
and redirects me to the login page.

The old version of Horde that I previously used (Horde 4.0.7) did not throw
that error when I tried to connect to horde/imp directly.

Thanks,
Kareem Dana