[horde] IMAP caching

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu Aug 1 17:51:33 UTC 2013

Quoting Simon Wilson <simon at simonandkate.net>:

> I was just looking at this git commit:
>
> https://github.com/horde/horde/commit/e80f5977a8a38df72caaa57be4bd28f315be3549
>
> I have always had cache = false in my Imp backends.local.php... and
> have never worried about it, but reading the commit, could I please
> ask some clarification questions:
>
> If I set the Imp cache = sql does that function entirely
> independently of the horde caching setup (which is currently using
> hashtable / redis)?

Yes.

> Does using sql IMAP caching provide much of a performance boost?

*ANY* IMAP caching provides a performance boost.

The problem is that Horde_Cache is setup to handle discrete, singluar
pieces of data.  IMAP caching instead requires multiple different
pieces of data that are interconnected and need to be queried relative
to each other.  Thus, the need for a more specific caching solution
(we have to do all sorts of "tricks" to allow Horde_Cache to store the
data).

michael