[horde] [SOLVED] Error connecting to smtp server

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu Aug 29 20:04:48 UTC 2013

Quoting "Jens-U. Mozdzen" <jmozdzen at nde.ag>:

> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:
>> [...]  Further, everyone should be using authentication to the SMTP
>> server.  The days of sending via open SMTP relays (should have)
>> long since passed.
>>
>> michael
>
> not within corporate setups. Identifying local systems by IP is
> often considered sufficient (and I wouldn't disagree).

You are incorrect.  This exact usage is defined for MSA's in the RFC.
See, e.g. RFC 6409 [4.3]:

"...unless it has already independently established authentication or
authorization (such as being within a protected subnetwork)."

You should never ever ever ever ever insert mail into the message
delivery stream via port 25.  This needs to be done via the mail
submission port 587.  Port 25 is for message *relay*, not *submission*.

michael