[horde] ActiveSync Multiple Calenders

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Thu Sep 5 13:06:22 UTC 2013

Quoting lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de:

> Zitat von Anna Christina Naß <acn at annachristina.eu>:
>
>> Am 05.09.2013 10:47, schrieb lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de:
>>
>> Hallo Andreas,
>>
>>> we need multiple calenders synced from Horde/Kronolith to mobile devices
>>> with ActiveSync. While at leaset with iOS (Apple) the calenders sync
>>> fine, you are not able to choose at the mobile device where to store new
>>> events. All created events are stored in the default calender. Is this a
>>> shortcoming of ActiveSync or the ActiveSync client?
>>
>> This issue has been addressed many times before (e.g. by me), but
>> is is "by design" of the Horde implementation of ActiveSync.
>>
>> While other systems can handle several calendars fine, the Horde
>> developers chose to mix all calendars together into one virtual
>> ActiveSync calendar.
>>
>> As far as I know, this issue won't be resolved.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Anna Christina Naß
>
> Hm, okay. What i found so far is this one from the mailing list:
>

> "The calendars are multiplexed - meaning that all of the calendars
> appear as a single calendar on the device. The pure EAS protocol does
> not allow for multiple calendars or address books. All events from all
> synchronized calendars should be synched. When edited, the maintain
> the relationship with the parent calendar - though all NEW events are
> added to the user's "default" calendar."
>
> The Horde Project (www.horde.org)
> mrubinsk at horde.org
>
> But according to
> http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=36797
> (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg650877%28v=exchg.80%29.aspx) the
> EAS protocol does support "user-created" Calender-folders. I'm not
> the EAS expert at all but isn't this the point we are looking for?
> It would be nice if someone technical skilled could comment on
>
> - is EAS able to sync multiple calender?

More recent versions of EAS did add the ability to do this, yes.

> - if yes, why the desicion to multiplex the calenders in Horde
> (beside code complexitiy of course)?

99% (obviously not a scientific number, but you get the idea) of
ActiveSync clients do not support FOLDER_TYPE of 13, 14, 15, 16, or
17. If we were to refactor to do this, we would lose the ability of
the vast majority of clients to see events on those calendars (or
contacts in address books, notes in notepads etc...).
--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)
mrubinsk at horde.org