[horde] ActiveSync Multiple Calenders

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Thu Sep 5 13:54:38 UTC 2013

Quoting lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de:

> Zitat von Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
>

>> 99% (obviously not a scientific number, but you get the idea) of
>> ActiveSync clients do not support FOLDER_TYPE of 13, 14, 15, 16, or
>> 17. If we were to refactor to do this, we would lose the ability of
>> the vast majority of clients to see events on those calendars (or
>> contacts in address books, notes in notepads etc...).
>
> Does this apply also to the clients which actually support (at least
> a subset) of the newer EAS protocols in question or would it be
> possible to decide according to the EAS version anounced which
> FOLDER_TYPE to use? Something like if EAS protocol version < 14 use
> multiplex if >= 14 subfolders?

Unfortunately it's not that simple. It's not a matter of version
sniffing since even the clients that support more recent versions
(IIRC, multiple non-mail folders were introduced in 12.0), don't
necessarily support this. E.g., stock android does not support these
folder types. This can be verified by looking directly at the source
code for the Android FolderSyncParser class. I've talked to the
developers of other third party clients, like TouchDown and they
verify that multiple folder support is not included in their products
yet either. Even on Microsoft's own clients support is hit or miss
from what I've tested and read.

> At least for iPhone there are rumors that more than one calender is
> possible (announced EAS version 14.1), but i have not checked
> because we have no ActiveSync server beside Horde.

I have not heard this. Do you have any links you can share, or any
information as to which iOS version? I have a number of Exchange VMs I
can test this on if I have the proper client. Either way, this is not
likely to make it into code unless someone sponsors the work, and
would be implemented as an all-or-nothing configuration switch. I.e.,
either Horde will use multiplexed collections, or it will use separate
folders - no client or version sniffing since that would likely be
fragile and a nightmare to maintain.
--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)