[horde] Too Many Apache Internal Redirects for /nag/task.php?actionID=add_task&tasklist_id=XGcpFDPh0hWdHpJR6F4Opw2

Andy Dorman adorman at ironicdesign.com
Tue Nov 5 13:49:57 UTC 2013

On 11/05/2013 01:51 AM, Arjen de Korte wrote:
> Citeren Andy Dorman <adorman at ironicdesign.com>:
>
>> I apologize in advance if this is not the proper mailing list to post
>> this on...not sure if this is a Horde apache config, nag .htaccess or
>> debian packaging problem....
>>
>> My environment is the latest Debian apt install (thanks to Mathieu
>> Parent's hard work), Horde 5.1.4, Tasks (nag) 4.1.2, PHP 5.5, and
>> Apache 2.4.6.
>>
>> Everything has been working fine, but it sometime in the past two
>> months (I do not use nag as often as I should ;-), something caused
>> nag's add_task action to trigger this apache error:
>>
>> 2013-11-04T16:02:09.283781-06:00 yorick apache2[633]: [core:error]
>> [pid 633:tid 140599831254784] [client 71.207.183.174:47426] AH00124:
>> Request exceeded the limit of 10 internal redirects due to probable
>> configuration error. Use 'LimitInternalRecursion' to increase the
>> limit if necessary. Use 'LogLevel debug' to get a backtrace.
>>
>> My related Apache configs are:
>>
>> /etc/apache/confs-available/php-horde.conf is
>> ----------------------------------
>>> <Directory /usr/share/horde>
>>>    AllowOverride Limit FileInfo
>>> </Directory>
>>
>> Apache site config looks like this
>> ----------------------------------
>> <VirtualHost *:80>
>>   ServerAlias beta.mail.army.com
>>   DirectoryIndex index.php
>>   DocumentRoot /usr/share/horde/
>>   SuexecUserGroup www-data www-data
>>   IPCCommTimeout 120
>>   <Files "*.php">
>>     SetHandler fcgid-script
>>     FcgidWrapper /var/www/mail.army.com/php5-cgi .php
>>   </Files>
>>   FcgidMaxRequestLen 10496000
>> </VirtualHost>
>>
>> I did some research and as a test, I changed the /nag/.htaccess file
>> to use "RewriteBase /" instead of "RewriteBase /horde" as shown below.
>> ----------------------------------
>> # IMPORTANT: DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE!
>> # It will be overwritten with any future upgrade.
>>
>> allow from all
>>
>> <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
>>     RewriteEngine On
>> #    RewriteBase /horde
>>     RewriteBase /
>>     RewriteRule .* - [env=HTTP_AUTHORIZATION:%{HTTP:Authorization}]
>>     RewriteCond   %{REQUEST_FILENAME}  !-d
>>     RewriteCond   %{REQUEST_FILENAME}  !-f
>>     RewriteRule ^(.*)$ rampage.php [QSA,L]
>> </IfModule>
>>

>> The problem goes away with the /nag/.htaccess above.
>>
>> So does anyone have a suggestion for anything I could change in my
>> Apache config to fix this instead of mucking around nag's .htaccess file?
>>
>> Thanks for any thoughts.
>
> Could this /nag/.htaccess file be left over from an earlier
> installation? The .htaccess files for nag in my installation live in
>
>      /nag/config/.htaccess
>      /nag/lib/.htaccess
>      /nag/locale/.htaccess
>
> I don't have one in /nag/.htaccess. Since your DocumentRoot is set to
> [...]

I do not believe the nag/.htaccess is from an earlier install.  It
depends on how the Debian package is set up of course, but normally if a
file is no longer used, it is removed on the next update.

I really think this may have been caused by an Apache update from 2.2 to
2.4.6 which took place between the last successful add_task action and
the start of this problem with Internal Redirects.

I am now thinking that what I am going to have to do is tell Apache to
ignore nag's .htaccess files and add my own directives for nag in my
/etc/apache/confs-available/php-horde.conf Either that or switch to
Nginx.  ;-)  I have tested successfully with Nginx, but the servers that
are going to be running this in production are already using Apache for
our spam/virus filtering UI and I can't run two http servers on port 80.

--
Andy Dorman