[horde] IMP 6.1.5 Can't send a message via smtp (issue with HEHLO error 502)

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Nov 20 05:56:10 UTC 2013

Quoting Gerard Breiner <gerard.breiner at ias.u-psud.fr>:

> Hello,
>
> I've just installed the newer horde version for testing
> horde 5.1.5
> imp 6.1.5
>
> I cannot send an email. In my backend I log  the "smtp debug" and I get :
>>> Mon, 18 Nov 2013 17:14:25 +0100
> S: 220 ************************************
> C: EHLO inf-webmail
> S: 502 5.5.2 Error: command not recognized

You really need to upgrade your SMTP server.

 From RFC 5321 (which was issued 5 years ago):

Contemporary SMTP implementations MUST support the basic extension
mechanisms.  For instance, servers MUST support the EHLO command even
if they do not implement any specific extensions and clients SHOULD
preferentially utilize EHLO rather than HELO.

SMTP servers have REQUIRED EHLO support since RFC 2821 -- issued April 2001.
The EHLO command was introduced in RFC 1869 - issued in 1995.

In short, SMTP servers have supported EHLO for so long, that I can't
find a SMTP server to test against that doesn't support it.

You will need to debug why the exception is not being caught
correctly. (As noted, the code is designed to catch exactly this
error.  But I have no idea why it isn't working, and no way to test in
a production environment).

michael