[horde] Problem with preferences backend

Erik Quaeghebeur horde at equaeghe.nospammail.net
Thu Dec 5 13:22:33 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'm using Horde Groupware Webmail Edition 5.1.3 with Horde 5.1.5 (and
other installed applications updated last week).

I very often get the following two notification messages:

	Error when communicating with the server.

	The preferences backend is currently unavailable and your preferences
have not been loaded. You may continue to use the system with default
preferences.

It is not clear to me whether they are related, although they do usually
occur almost simultaneously. When I look at the Apache/MySQL/PHP logs,
nothing suspicious seems to be going on and I do have a horde_prefs
table. test.php shows all (required) dependencies are present. Looking
at the Horde log files also does not give me any clue. On the other
hand, I have little experience in these matters, so it is entirely
likely that I am missing something.

I would be grateful if a person knowledgeable about Horde installations
could help me diagnose this problem.

Thanks,

Erik