[horde] Too many httpd processes and no response

ANANT S ATHAVALE asa at isac.gov.in
Mon Jan 13 13:25:34 UTC 2014

Dear List,

I have released HGWE 5.1.3 to my users from last 3 days.

We are facing unusual problem.

When there is not much load, there is no problem at all.

But, during peak hours of usage on a working day, suddenly too many httpd
processes start and user gets no response.  Only solution is to restart
httpd.  By this, there won't any issue for atleast one hour and problem
repeats.

I am unable to diagonise this right now.

1. I have installed HGWE on RHEL 6.4
2. Using APC Cache as provided with RHEL
3. Using PHP 5.3.3-27 as provided with RHEL
4. Using SquirrelMail IMAP proxy latest stable version, compiled on the
same server.
5. Using Cyrus-IMAP server on a remote server and following string logged
in Horde-IMAP debug log

S: * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID ENABLE  XIMAPPROXY]
newisacmail.isac.dos.gov.in Cyrus IMAP v2.4.17-Invoca-RPM-2.4.17-6.el6
server ready

I am unable to debug why httpd suddenly starts too many processes.  I have
already enabled DEBUG log in Horde conf.php

Can anybody suggest, how to go about debugging further and come to some
conclusion.

And to add, I have all pre-requisite installed.  I have already disabled
thumbnail view to avoid high loads of CPU.  Will enable only after
resolving the main issue.
--
           Regards
            Anant