[horde] ActiveSync stops working after migration from mod_php to mod_proxy_fcgi and PHP-FPM

Arjen de Korte arjen+horde at de-korte.org
Mon Jan 13 21:39:30 UTC 2014

Citeren Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:

> Quoting Ralf Lang <lang at b1-systems.de>:
>
>> On 11.01.2014 12:50, Arjen de Korte wrote:
>>> I have migrated a (Apache 2.4) server from mod_php to mod_proxy_fcgi and
>>> PHP-FPM. This almost works, the only thing is that ActiveSync seems to
>>> have stopped working. In the webserver logs I see lots of lines like
>>>
>>>    192.168.1.133 - - [11/Jan/2014:12:39:33 +0100] "POST
>>> /Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync?Cmd=Sync&User=arjen&DeviceId=847CC7DCA0F0B1CF&DeviceType=Android
>>> HTTP/1.1" 401 -
>>>
>>> After enabling ActiveSync debug logging at the same time the following
>>> is logged
>>>
>>>    2014-01-11T12:39:33+01:00 INFO: [12589]
>>> Horde_Core_ActiveSync_Driver::authenticate() attempt for arjen
>>>    2014-01-11T12:39:33+01:00 NOTICE: Device failed to pass the user
>>> password.
>>>
>>> The same installation is operational again if I disable mod_proxy_fcgi
>>> and enable mod_php5, without further changes. What am I missing here?
>>>
>> Apart from the activesync issue, could you measure any performance
>> impact of changing to mod_proxy_fgci ?
>
> Can't speak for mod_php vs. mod_proxy_fcgi.

The first embeds PHP in Apache, the latter provides a FastCGI like
interface to PHP-FPM. Unlike mod_fastcgi (which has been basically out
of maintenance for years already), mod_proxy_fcgi is fully supported
by Apache. I found it much easier to interface with PHP-FPM than
mod_fcgid and as far as I know is as of Apache 2.4 the preferred way.

> But I know for a fact that a FastCGI (or PHP-FPM) based installation
> is *demonstrably* less resource intensive than an embedded
> Apcahe-like solution. Not to mention it becomes trivial to scale.

That was what I was trying to achieve by switching from mod_php to
mod_proxy_fcgi + PHP-FPM.