[horde] Too many httpd processes and no response

ANANT S ATHAVALE asa at isac.gov.in
Tue Jan 14 05:39:59 UTC 2014

  ----- Message from Arjen de Korte <arjen+horde at de-korte.org> ---------
   Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 15:52:03 +0100
   From: Arjen de Korte <arjen+horde at de-korte.org>
Subject: Re: [horde] Too many httpd processes and no response
     To: horde at lists.horde.org

> Citeren ANANT S ATHAVALE <asa at isac.gov.in>:
>
>> Dear List,
>>
>> I have released HGWE 5.1.3 to my users from last 3 days.
>>
>> We are facing unusual problem.
>>
>> When there is not much load, there is no problem at all.
>>
>> But, during peak hours of usage on a working day, suddenly too many
httpd
>> processes start and user gets no response.  Only solution is to restart
>> httpd.  By this, there won't any issue for atleast one hour and problem
>> repeats.
>
> My first guess would be that you allow your server to spawn too many
> processes to serve the incoming requests. If this is more than the
> amount of memory allows, the result will be swapping and a dramatic
> decrease in performance. Users will try to reconnect then, worsening the
> problem. Which webserver are you using? If Apache, which MPM are you
> using?
>
>> I am unable to diagonise this right now.
>>
>> 1. I have installed HGWE on RHEL 6.4
>> 2. Using APC Cache as provided with RHEL
>
> Is there enough memory available for APC? Look at the apc.php status
> page to see if there is sufficient memory available, especially if
> you're using it as a caching backend.
>
>> 3. Using PHP 5.3.3-27 as provided with RHEL
>> 4. Using SquirrelMail IMAP proxy latest stable version, compiled on the
>> same server.
>> 5. Using Cyrus-IMAP server on a remote server and following string
logged
>> in Horde-IMAP debug log
>>
>> S: * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID ENABLE  XIMAPPROXY]
>> newisacmail.isac.dos.gov.in Cyrus IMAP v2.4.17-Invoca-RPM-2.4.17-6.el6
>> server ready
>
> Have you enabled IMAP caching in imp/config/backends.local.php?
>
>> I am unable to debug why httpd suddenly starts too many processes.  I
>> have
>> already enabled DEBUG log in Horde conf.php
>
> Definitly don't do this. Your investigating a performance problem here.
> Logging at level DEBUG will generate tons of information and on a busy
> server this will be enough to bring it to its knees.
>
>> Can anybody suggest, how to go about debugging further and come to some
>> conclusion.
>>
>> And to add, I have all pre-requisite installed.  I have already
disabled
>> thumbnail view to avoid high loads of CPU.  Will enable only after
>> resolving the main issue.
>> --
>>          Regards
>>           Anant

>> Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments,
>> is for
>> the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential
>> and
>> privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
>> distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
please
> [...]

----- End message from Arjen de Korte <arjen+horde at de-korte.org> -----

Just wanted additional clarifcation.  Configured horde to use Mysql
(Mysqli) as database.  But, I don't have php-mysqli installed.  I have
php-mysql  installed.  Can it create any problem?

My mysql version rpms are

mysql-server-5.1.66-2.el6_3.x86_64
mysql-libs-5.1.66-2.el6_3.x86_64
mysql-devel-5.1.66-2.el6_3.x86_64