[horde] Too many httpd processes and no response

lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de
Tue Jan 14 13:27:27 UTC 2014

Zitat von Arjen de Korte <arjen+horde at de-korte.org>:

> Citeren ANANT S ATHAVALE <asa at isac.gov.in>:
>
>> ----- Message from Arjen de Korte <arjen+horde at de-korte.org> ---------
>>    Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 09:58:43 +0100
>>    From: Arjen de Korte <arjen+horde at de-korte.org>
>> Subject: Re: [horde] Too many httpd processes and no response
>>      To: horde at lists.horde.org

>>> What is the average process size of Apache? You may need to change
>>> 'httpd' in the below to whatever RHEL is using:
>>>
>>> ps -ylC httpd | awk '{x += $8;y += 1} END {print "Apache Memory Usage
>>> (MB): "x/1024; print "Average Proccess Size (MB): "x/((y-1)*1024)}'
>>
>> This is what I got on a minimal load condition.
>> Apache Memory Usage (MB): 1651.5
>> Average Process Size (MB): 63.5191
>
> That's a process size about what I would expect for a system running
> Horde. You'll want to keep an eye on these figures when the load is
> higher too.

 From what i know this numbers are far too high because they don't
account for "shared text", no?
The process size include all kind of code pages which are only loaded
once and shared by all processes with the same user context
(http://virtualthreads.blogspot.de/2006/02/understanding-memory-usage-on-linux.html).
So the memmory demand per additional process is much lower, taken code
needed is already loaded at least once.
For more precise numbers one have to examine a process with pmap and
add the none "anon" rw segments and the stack IMHO.

Regards

Andreas