[horde] Many Issues with Groupware 5.1.1

Simon B simon.buongiorno at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 06:27:23 UTC 2014

On 13 Mar 2014 00:10, <admin at ar15armory.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> like stand-alone clients.  Therefore it shouldn't open anything in a
>
> new
>>>
>>> window it should be available in the reading pane.  From where you can
>>> blacklist or junk to your heart's content without even moving your
>>

>> mouse./
>>>
>>> Things are nice and streamlined, but at the expense of cutting the guts
>>> out
>>> of a perfectly good working sytem.
>>>
>>> /
>>> This is configurable in the administrator and preferences dialogues./
>>> NO it is not, the dynamic has very limited admin and configuration
>>> features,
>>> things you are use to having now says to configure then you need some
>>

>> kind
>>>
>>> of basic view and judging by the screen shots I have seen looks like a
>>> trash
>>> can of Horde e-mail.
>>>
>>> /
>>> I think most people are happy with the improvements.  If it doesn't
>
> suit
>>>
>>> you feel free to downgrade.  I'm willing to bet your underlying OS has
>>> changed its look and feel just as much in the last few years./
>>> Speak for yourself, there are a bunch of webmasters not happy with
>>> eliminating basic features and then reversing the signature was insane.

>> Hey
>>
>> my two punds of words.....
>>
>> I have read your mail to this list.
>> Some of your questions shows that you didn't even try to setup some of
>> your
>> preferences.
>> Some of the things needs to be enabled in the admin settings too.
>> And yes it can be a bit complicated. And not always right on target.
>> Its a bit try and error. But if you really want to. You will quickly
>
> learn
>>
>> howto.
>>
>> This is not a forum. Its a mailling list.
>> As I see what is happening.
>> Those guys sitting here giving you competent advice.
>> Is at the same time doing serious programming.
>> Some have jobs and other obligations. Families and what else in life.
>> They don't have time and resources to do everything them self.
>> Others do that.
>> There are forums out there about Horde and you will se people there as
>
> Jan
>>
>> Sneider and Ralf Lang and Michael and others.
>>
>> Please if you are so mad about things.
>> Find something else to spend your valuable time on.
>>
>> /Erling Preben Hansen
>>

> You people are amazing, I report problems with Horde that I have been
using
> since 2005 and all of you had done not a darn thing to assist me other
> than:
> "this has been discussed to death"
> "admin decision"
> "Use the search"
> blah blah blah
>
> Now did Horde Fix these problems they messed up and changed which did not

If they hadn't benefited horde, people would stop using it and the project
would wither and die.  It hasn't engagement and usage is still strong and
we have won users  from Roundcube and Squirrel because of the activesync
integration.

The issues were fixed the same way every successful open source project
fixes things.  User report problems soberly, with correct information, and
respond to requests for clarification because they know the developers have
day jobs.  They don't come in swinging and looking for a  free lunch.

Plus, most people migrated from H3 to H4 H5 by following the documentation
and not flummoxed by what at the time were gradual paradigm changes and
thousands of new features.  And we took the time to understand how to
configure those features.

It wasn't all rosy.  Some do not agree about the display of the signature,
but it was discussed.  It would be nice if you were patiently a part of
that collaboration.

> Horde would also benefit with a forums so everything could be quoted
> correctly, properly formatted, and discussesd!

Someone would have to own that.  It's an open source project - are you
volunteering?  It's not a simple matter.

- Someone has to donate a server and bandwidth.  Will you? That would be
amazingly generous and helpful!
- Someone has to set it up , make it secure, keep it secure, keep it
spam-free, etc.  Will you? That would be amazingly generous and helpful.
- Someone has to moderate it.  And I've seen enough forums where people
don't use the quotation function properly that it's not the utopia you
think it is.

I'm sorry that you prefer forums over mailing lists.  However, the people
who contribute most to this project prefer a mailing list.  It's not,
therefore, their fault if you decide to use a third party system that
archives mailing list emails and has a reply function...

Join the mailing list, reel in the sense of entitlement and take the time
to understand your framework and we will help you with the issues and
complex configuration.

Simon