[horde] Slow response times

Simon Wilson simon at simonandkate.net
Fri Apr 18 14:09:22 UTC 2014

----- Message from Simon Wilson <simon at simonandkate.net> ---------
     Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 23:21:48 +1000
     From: Simon Wilson <simon at simonandkate.net>
  Subject: [horde] Slow response times
       To: horde at lists.horde.org

> I have been running Horde for quite a few years now, but have never
> had this issue before. I would appreciate some help if anyone can...
>
> I've moved my Horde web server (that has been running Horde 5 for a
> year or more) from being reverse proxied behind another box to now
> being 'direct', so I have made a couple of Apache config changes.
> That was a week ago, and it has been running fast and fine. Today
> Horde has slowed to a crawl, from multiple PCs and browsers.
>
> The server is running fully up to date Horde 5.1.6 on a CentOS 6.5
> KVM virtual machine with 8GB RAM (the host has 32GB), as it has been
> for ages. PHP is 5.3.28. Horde VM average load is under 5%. The
> host's average load is under 10%.
>
> Horde apps and pages are taking between 15 and 30 seconds to load.
> Logout is instantaneous. Test.php is instantaneous. GET login.php is
> instantaneous. POST login takes 30 seconds, but loading the CSS and
> JS is quick. Basic mode is as slow as dynamic. If I log into Smart
> phone mobile mode it is fast (under 3 seconds even for 'heavy'
> pages). ActiveSync is still flying, with logged response times under
> 0.5 sec. ActiveSync refreshes fast on the phones. Connectivity
> within Horde apps remains fast and responsive, so if I load Imp
> (which takes 15 seconds) emails appear almost instantly once Imp
> loads, and can be read, refreshed, deleted, etc., all as per normal
> speed.
>
> The Apache server on the VM serves other web sites, and they respond
> in under a second, including a Wordpress blog that runs on PHP and
> that is plenty quick enough. PHPLdapAdmin runs internally on the
> same server, and responds (including with a https login to the
> separate LDAP server that Horde auths users to) in under 0.5 seconds).
>
> For troubleshooting I am connecting inside the LAN with just http
> instead of https and with no port forwarding via my router. I have
> disabled / re-enabled caching (currently xcache). I have restarted
> apache, checked its config, and rebooted the server. I have trimmed
> down php loaded modules. Still, horde load times are between 12
> seconds and 30 seconds.
>
> Horde logs show nothing abnormal at INFO level, and at DEBUG level
> so much is logged it is hard to follow anything for the 30 or 40
> seconds I have it at DEBUG.
>
> If anyone has any ideas where I can look next please let me know! :)
> Log detail below.
>
> Thanks
> Simon

Answered it myself.

Installed xdebug, and drilled down into the resultant file. Found:

Gollem_Application -> authTransparent was taking time.

My Samba server had an issue which I was not aware of, and because
Horde couldn't see the three SMB shares, the entire Horde website
ground to almost a halt.

It's certainly a drastic reaction to an app in the background not
being able to see a share...

Simon

--
Simon Wilson