[horde] Slow response times

simon at simonandkate.net simon at simonandkate.net
Fri Apr 18 21:21:58 UTC 2014

Sent from Samsung tablet

-------- Original message --------
From: Michael M Slusarz
Date:19/04/2014 01:54 (GMT+10:00)
To: horde at lists.horde.org
Subject: Re: [horde] Slow response times

Quoting Simon Wilson <simon at simonandkate.net>:

> ----- Message from Simon Wilson <simon at simonandkate.net> ---------
>     Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 23:21:48 +1000
>     From: Simon Wilson <simon at simonandkate.net>
>  Subject: [horde] Slow response times
>       To: horde at lists.horde.org
>

>> I have been running Horde for quite a few years now, but have never
>> had this issue before. I would appreciate some help if anyone can...
>>
>> I've moved my Horde web server (that has been running Horde 5 for a
>> year or more) from being reverse proxied behind another box to now
>> being 'direct', so I have made a couple of Apache config changes.
>> That was a week ago, and it has been running fast and fine. Today
>> Horde has slowed to a crawl, from multiple PCs and browsers.
>>
>> The server is running fully up to date Horde 5.1.6 on a CentOS 6.5
>> KVM virtual machine with 8GB RAM (the host has 32GB), as it has
>> been for ages. PHP is 5.3.28. Horde VM average load is under 5%.
>> The host's average load is under 10%.
>>
>> Horde apps and pages are taking between 15 and 30 seconds to load.
>> Logout is instantaneous. Test.php is instantaneous. GET login.php
>> is instantaneous. POST login takes 30 seconds, but loading the CSS
>> and JS is quick. Basic mode is as slow as dynamic. If I log into
>> Smart phone mobile mode it is fast (under 3 seconds even for
>> 'heavy' pages). ActiveSync is still flying, with logged response
>> times under 0.5 sec. ActiveSync refreshes fast on the phones.
>> Connectivity within Horde apps remains fast and responsive, so if I
>> load Imp (which takes 15 seconds) emails appear almost instantly
>> once Imp loads, and can be read, refreshed, deleted, etc., all as
>> per normal speed.
>>
>> The Apache server on the VM serves other web sites, and they
>> respond in under a second, including a Wordpress blog that runs on
>> PHP and that is plenty quick enough. PHPLdapAdmin runs internally
>> on the same server, and responds (including with a https login to
>> the separate LDAP server that Horde auths users to) in under 0.5
>> seconds).
>>
>> For troubleshooting I am connecting inside the LAN with just http
>> instead of https and with no port forwarding via my router. I have
>> disabled / re-enabled caching (currently xcache). I have restarted
>> apache, checked its config, and rebooted the server. I have trimmed
>> down php loaded modules. Still, horde load times are between 12
>> seconds and 30 seconds.
>>
>> Horde logs show nothing abnormal at INFO level, and at DEBUG level
>> so much is logged it is hard to follow anything for the 30 or 40
>> seconds I have it at DEBUG.
>>
>> If anyone has any ideas where I can look next please let me know!
>> :) Log detail below.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Simon
>>

> Answered it myself.
>
> Installed xdebug, and drilled down into the resultant file. Found:
>
> Gollem_Application -> authTransparent was taking time.
>
> My Samba server had an issue which I was not aware of, and because
> [...]

Not sure what else we can do.  You have to have some kind of
reasonable timeout that allows a connection to the Gollem VFS backend
if it doesn't immediately respond.  I'm guessing that timeout is 5
seconds which may be too long by default (can't remember if it is
configurable).  But it can't be 0.1 seconds either.

Even if it was 2 seconds, that would still be 6 seconds of wait time
on your particular installation.  Which means the remedy is the same:
either fix the VFS connection or remove it from the backend list.

In the past, I believe we were trying to connect to the gollem VFS
backends even if they weren't used in a page access, but I believe
that has been fixed.

michael