[horde] explain $_prefs['activesync_multiplex'] setting in Horde 5.2

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Sun May 11 15:27:39 UTC 2014

Quoting Samuel Wolf <samuel at sheepflock.de>:

> Hi,
>
> can someone explain the Horde $_prefs['activesync_multiplex'] setting for me?

"Multiplex" refers to multiple data sources being combined into a
single stream (the term originates from the telecommunications
industry). Previously when a user has multiple sources, like e.g.,
address books, that they want synchronized, we "multiplexed" all of
the data from the selected address books into a single address book
"stream" that was sent to the client. This is because, originally, EAS
did not support multiple sources, and even now, that it does, a fair
number of clients do not.

In Horde 5.2, support was added to allow sending each source
individually, i.e., non-multiplexed. So, for clients that support it
(like recent iOS versions), you can see and manage each separate
address book separately, instead of combined together. For calendars,
for reasons that I won't get into here, this allows allows Horde to
synchronize shared (but still writable) calendars.

This preference allows the user to maintain the previous behavior of
always combining multiple sources (activesync_multiplex == 1, the
default), or allowing use of multiple collections. The default was set
to 1 for BC reasons.

Additionally, there is code in the library that attempts to detect the
ability of each client to use separate collections, and disable them
if it is known that they cannot.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

--
mike