[horde] Doubling emails-problem in Outlook 2013

Patrick De Zordo patrick at spamreducer.eu
Fri May 16 14:36:13 UTC 2014

Am 16.05.2014 16:13, schrieb Michael J Rubinsky:
>> Could it be possible (theoretical) to make some "if" or "case"
>> instruction into the code to check if it is an OL client
>> and in case to omit the ADD command for the "new" item in the
>> destination folder?
>
> Theoretically, sure. But that is NOT something we are going to do in
> our code. There are already WAY too many workarounds in the code for
> misbehaving clients that cause severe issues when they are not worked
> around. This issue is an obvious bug in OL and an annoyance for the
> users, but not something that would prevent the client from working or
> something that would bring down the server due to tons of SYNC loops.

So what is MS Exchange server doing in this case?
Are they using some workarround probably, since there ActiveSync is
working on OL and also in mobile clients.

>> The UID would not change in Outlook (so OL would have the old UID and
>> the IMAP-Horde backend would have a new UID);
>> but it should not matter since Outlook "think" the self copied
>> message is the moved message?
>
> This would mean that the client state is now inconsistent. The
> ActiveSync server thinks an email with the new UID is on the client
> (which, by the way would match the UID of the actual email on the IMAP
> server). This now no longer matches the actual state of the client.
> Any server side change to the email (like actually deleting it from
> the IMAP server) will now NEVER make it to the client since the UIDs
> are no longer the same. Likewise, no change to the email on the client
> side (like, for instance trying to move it back to the INBOX) will
> ever be accepted by the server.

Agree, but what could you do for the "normal" moving of messages?
Our human clients (not OL ;-) ) are moving emails forwards and backwards
and sort them with local rules, etc..
So they are making a lot of trouble in their messageboxes after some
days.. I think you can understand this is a severe problem..