[horde] Doubling emails-problem in Outlook 2013

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Mon May 19 18:49:06 UTC 2014

> Quoting Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
>
>> Quoting Patrick De Zordo <patrick at spamreducer.eu>:

>>> So what is MS Exchange server doing in this case?
>>> Are they using some workarround probably, since there ActiveSync
>>> is working on OL and also in mobile clients.
>>
>> First of all, OL does NOT connect using ActiveSync to a true
>> exchange server. That is explicitly not allowed by OL. It connects
>> using the traditional RPC/MAPI interface it always has. As far as
>> mobile clients go, I have 3 different Windows mobile clients that
>> all behave correctly when connected to Horde. Also, I'm not 100%
>> sure about this one since it was a while since I tested it, but I
>> believe the Email client in Windows 8 also worked correctly.

>>> Agree, but what could you do for the "normal" moving of messages?
>>
>> My comments were aimed at the issue of deleting messages since
>> that's the only issue I have verified. I have not noticed any
>> issues moving email from one folder to another in OL.
>>

>>> Our human clients (not OL ;-) ) are moving emails forwards and
>>> backwards and sort them with local rules, etc..
>>> So they are making a lot of trouble in their messageboxes after
>>> some days.. I think you can understand this is a severe problem..
>>
>> As I said, I have only seen this when deleting messages, not when
>> explicitly moving them. I will have to look at your log when I have
>> time and see if I can deduce what is going on for you. Regardless,
>> I'm not going to stop sending correct wbxml responses to commands
>> because a client doesn't know it's own protocol.
>
> Actually, I see this now when I move some email messages, but not
> all the time. Regardless, the WBXML that is being returned from the
> MOVEITEMS command is 100% correct. This is absolutely a OL
> bug/feature.

...and I will eat these words now.

While the WBXML response to the MOVEITEMS correct is correct, OL also
requires a DELETE command be sent to the ORIGINAL mailbox to manually
remove the original item. Even though in the UI, the message is moved
to the new mailbox, OL apparently still thinks it's in the original
mailbox and will remove the "duplicate" entry once it receives this
delete command.

Both issues (duplicates when deleting or moving) should be fixed with
this commit.

--
mike
The Horde Project