[horde] Memcache issue

Arjen de Korte arjen+horde at de-korte.org
Thu May 22 10:44:11 UTC 2014

Citeren Administrator BCS <adje at bezoekerscentrumsonsbeek.nl>:

> Got Horde is up and running but performance is not what it should
> be. It seems I have a problem with memcache. Memcache is up and
> running, I can connect to it with telnet localhost 11211, but the
> stats tells me nothing is happening there.

First question, how many concurrent users do you have? If there is a
performance issue, installing memcache is not magically going to fix
that for you. In you case it might help only if you have a problem
with storing/retrieving session information, but that will happen only
if you have many concurrent users and are starved on I/O. And even
then using native memcache sessions might be preferred over using a
distributed hashtable for caching session information. Enabling the
latter may even worsen the problem.

> When I enable Memcache server under Configuration>Horde>Distributed
> Hash Table, my conf.php contains:
>
> $conf['sessionhandler']['type'] = 'Builtin';
> $conf['sessionhandler']['hashtable'] = true;
> $conf['hashtable']['params']['hostspec'] = array('localhost');
> $conf['hashtable']['params']['port'] = array('11211');
> $conf['hashtable']['params']['weight'] = array();
> $conf['hashtable']['params']['persistent'] = false;
> $conf['hashtable']['params']['compression'] = false;
> $conf['hashtable']['params']['large_items'] = true;
> $conf['hashtable']['driver'] = 'Memcache';

The above all looks good. Assuming that 'horde-memcache-stats' provide
some sensible output, you can rule out that this is the problem.

> As soon as I enable memcache this way, I see some "Invalid
> application" errors in Horde and I get randomly "User is not
> authorized for horde" messages in the Horde log, followed by logout.
> No other error messages. I set memcached logging to -vv and see no
> activity at all.
>
> I suppose I do something wrong in the Horde config but after a lot
> of reading and searching I got a bit lost now. Any pointers in the
> right direction welcome!

What kind of performance issue do you have? And you do use an opcode
cache, right?