[horde] Memcache issue

Arjen de Korte arjen+horde at de-korte.org
Fri May 23 19:33:48 UTC 2014

Citeren Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:

> Quoting Arjen de Korte <arjen+horde at de-korte.org>:
>
>> Citeren Administrator BCS <adje at bezoekerscentrumsonsbeek.nl>:
>>
>>> Got Horde is up and running but performance is not what it should
>>> be. It seems I have a problem with memcache. Memcache is up and
>>> running, I can connect to it with telnet localhost 11211, but the
>>> stats tells me nothing is happening there.
>>
>> First question, how many concurrent users do you have? If there is
>> a performance issue, installing memcache is not magically going to
>> fix that for you. In you case it might help only if you have a
>> problem with storing/retrieving session information, but that will
>> happen only if you have many concurrent users and are starved on
>> I/O. And even then using native memcache sessions might be
>> preferred over using a distributed hashtable for caching session
>> information.
>
> There is no appreciable performance difference between the two on a
> modern system, with the advantage that Horde_Sessionhandler sessions
> allow things like large session data and statistics and also doesn't
> require you to change system-wide settings in your php.ini file
> (which should be avoided as much as possible).

Well, maybe my system lacks the proper horsepower needed for the above
to be true, but what I see here is that using the hashtable session
handler requires about twice the time to switch between month views in
Kronolith compared to native memcache (in php.ini). Even using Sql as
session handler is faster. The argument of avoiding changing
system-wide settings in php.ini is moot anyway if the system is
dedicated for Horde.