[horde] Php 5.6.0~beta3 crashes dovecot when horde tries to login

Henning Twilek at gmx.de
Thu Jun 5 23:49:18 UTC 2014

Michael M Slusarz <slusarz <at> horde.org> writes:

> Quoting Henning <Twilek <at> gmx.de>:
>
> > Will horde be compatible with 5.6 in the future or do they have to
> > change something?
>
> There's nothing for us to change.  The backward incompatible list is 4
> items long, and I am not aware of using any of those 4 features.
>
> More importantly, if PHP is segfaulting - that indicates an issue with
> the PHP core, not Horde.

It is actually dovecot (or the login agent it spawns) which is segfaulting.
But it only does that if horde tries to authenticate with it using php 5.6.
The same procedure works flawlessly with horde php 5.5 and dovecot. So it
probably is some new php thing that has changed but horde triggers it. Other
php programs using IMAP(like squirrelmail) do not make dovecot crash even
with php 5.6. As I said I have reverted to php 5.5 so for me the problem has
gone, but it might be worth keeping an eye out that there might be trouble
ahead with php 5.6 and IMAP. Especially if 5.6 gets out of beta and more
widely adopted.