[horde] greetings - some quick questions

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Wed Jun 11 20:38:13 UTC 2014

Quoting Rick Romero <rick at havokmon.com>:

> Quoting Tim Streit <ledoktre at meanie.us>:
>
>> Greetings to all ;
>>
>> 3.  EAS.  I saw a note in the setup where it says that it is intended
>> for use outside the US, or if they have bought an EAS license.  I'm
>> curious about this - a license from whom, Microsoft?  Horde?  How do
>> programs like Zarafa or Zimbra get by with Z-push, when this program has
>> some common roots, or at least that is my understanding?
>>

> You can purchase licenses from Microsoft for using the ActiveSync
> protocol.  There is an initial deposit, and they you pay per mailbox
> (which inititally comes from the deposit).  I'm not familiar with Zarafa,
> but Zimbra does not include ActiveSync support in the free version.

For ActiveSync, it is my understanding that for a *server* (like
Horde's groupware stack) the license fees are not per user, but per
server. Client software I believe is per user. Additionally, it is
also my understanding that it is the provider of the software that is
responsible for selling the licenses (again, this would be Horde).

We have looked into the possibility of providing licenses for
ActiveSync, but there needs to be a large enough demand for the
licenses in order for us to recoup the initial, very substantial,
up-front royalty fees that would be due to Microsoft.

Zarafa's Z-Push, as well as any other EAS implementation is also
subject to the same restrictions as Horde when used in the US. It is
my guess that since they are not physically located in the US and they
don't allow the source to be hosted on US servers, they have decided
to ignore the patent issue.
--
mike
The Horde Project