[horde] SOLVED: Email server does not support IMAP4rev1 (RFC 3501)

Erling Preben Hansen erling at eph.dk
Sun Jul 6 22:09:58 UTC 2014

  Citat af Jason Anderson <axetone at yahoo.com>:

> SOLVED:
> I found the solution to the IMAP4rev1 issue,...basically, after
> re-running "dovecot -n" I noticed that an error read:
> doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:20:
> 'imaps' protocol is no longer supported. to disable non-ssl imap, use
> service imap-login { inet_listener imap { port=0 } }
> <b>AND</b>
> doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:20:
> 'pop3s' protocol is no longer supported. to disable non-ssl pop3, use
> service pop3-login { inet_listener pop3 { port=0 } }
> So, I had to edit the dovecot.conf file and deleted the items "imaps"
> and "pop3s" from protocols line (leaving just imap and pop3)...below is
> example of what was changed; The only concern that I have with this is
> that apparently the syntax of explicitly writing out the functions of
> the protocol(s) is no longer linear...even more specifically to that
> point is that I followed the HORDE documentation to build this, and
> guess what...-this issue of NO LONGER SUPPORTING IMAPS AND POP3S syntax
> didn't make the documentation?!?! Seriously, what gives? Is this just a
> hook to get Pro-support? Anyway, I made the changes below...-fixed the
> IMAP4rev1 issue (but read, there's still more to do after this issue is
> fixed.
> <code>
> protocols = imap pop3
> service imap-login {
>   inet_listener imap {
>     port = 143
>   }
> }
> service pop3-login {
>   inet_listener pop3 {
>     port = 995
>   }
> }
> </code>
> However, I still cannot login as now I am facing other
> issues...~specifically my mail.err log file (in /var/log folder) shows
> these new errors:
> Jul 5 12:54:10 mail dovecot: imap-login: Error: Timeout waiting for
> handshake from auth server. my pid=1684, input bytes=0
> Jul 5 12:54:40 mail dovecot: auth: Fatal: No passdbs specified in
> configuration file. PLAIN mechanism needs one
> Jul 5 12:54:40 mail dovecot: master: Error: service(auth): command
> startup failed, throttling
> ...~so off I go chasing those down, but at least this issue above is
> fixed (for now). I honestly do not think the documentation should be
> this inaccurate. We'll see how long this takes to get all the "features"
> worked out. Hope this helps someone along the way.

Hey
Glad yu got it sorted out.
But I have to say!
Horde is not responsible of how you setup your mail server.
If you follow some guide to set these things up.
So must the author af that guide. Be the one to blame.

First of: You must have a working imap and smtp server running.
And of cource some sort of user database.
Then you can set up Horde on top of that.
Horde is not responsible of anything dovecot or postfix or whatever
database you choose to use.

/erling