[horde] Horde fails to detect GPG encrypted mails from Enigmail and APG

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Jul 16 07:18:32 UTC 2014

Quoting Michael <mine at michi.su>:

> Hi,
> I'm having troubles decrypting mails that are not coming from IMP.
> Mails from Enigmail (Thunderbird) and APG (K-9 Mail) are not
> recognized as GPG encrypted mails, which makes me impossible to
> decrypt it with IMP.

All of those clients are using the totally deprecated (like 10 years
ago) way of sending PGP messages.  It requires scanning the entire
textual content of the message for "magic" strings, which is very
inefficient and is disabled by default.  You need to enable pgp_inline
in imp/config/mime_drivers.local.php

The correct way of sending PGP (or S/MIME messages) is via
multipart/encrypted (e.g. RFC 3156).  It requires no resources to
determine whether the message is signed, encrypted, or both -- all of
this can be determined via MIME types of the subparts.

michael