[horde] How to move a pre-4.0 database to a new server

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Wed Aug 6 14:48:51 UTC 2014

On 8/6/2014 10:21 AM, Mauricio Jose T. Tecles wrote:

> ----- Mensagem de Steve Campbell <campbell at cnpapers.com> ---------
>           Data: Wed, 06 Aug 2014 07:37:39 -0400
>             De: Steve Campbell <campbell at cnpapers.com>
> Responder para: campbell at cnpapers.com
>        Assunto: Re: [horde] How to move a pre-4.0 database to a new
> server
>           Para: horde at lists.horde.org

>>> ? You have upgrade from H2 to H3.2 and now you run in script errors
>>> when upgrading to H3.3?
>>>
>>> Did you updated/copied over the basic config.php, the backends
>>> etc.pp. to reflect the location and database?
>>>
>>> Maybe, you should explain what you've did.

>>> What "rules for Imp" you mean?

>>> Along with the preferences I guess.
>>>
>> I probably should start this all over since it's become so long, but
>> I'm sure I'm doing something wrong since it seems to be so straight
>> forward for everyone else.
>>
>> Let me ask a few questions first.
>>
>> It's been suggested I create a test box with the original
>> configuration. I'm not sure I can do that at this point in time, so
>> should I be able to install the new version of Webmail, copy the old
>> database to the new server, and then run the upgrades in order on
>> that machine?
>>

> I am confused. Are you trying to upgrade from Webmail-1.0 or
> Horde-3.x/IMP? They (old versions) are alike but maybe not the same
> and may have different scripts. So if you are using Webmail-1.0 take a
> carefull reading of:
>
> http://www.horde.org/apps/webmail/docs/UPGRADING
>
> There you have specific instructions. Applying upgrade scripts for
> Horde/IMP to Webmail doesn't seem to me a good idea. The instructions
> might have different interpretations, try one, if not try another one.
>
> If you are using old Horde/IMP/Ingo/Turba/... (not old webmail
> distribution), read each INSTALL and UPGRADING for each application
> (Horde, IMP, Ingo...).
>
> For sure, start over. Always on a test box first and take notes of
> each of your steps, so you can reproduce it once it works. But
> understand that in order to do the upgrades you must have an
> installation setup for each version you are going to upgrade, one at a
> time - that is my undestanding. That might be hard, running old PHP
> scripts might have differences.
> When running upgrade scripts your setup must be configured to use your
> database (horde/config/conf.php) and all installation files must have
> correct permission (www-data?).
>
> Mauricio
>
>> When you ask about the config.php are you talking about the new
>> config.php or the one from the original box There is no backends.*
>> file on the original box.
>>
>> The rules are I'm speaking of are called "filters". They are the
>> filters that do something like "if the email is from a particular
>> person, then move the email to a particular folder". But there are
>> Maintenance options like "purge the Trash folder of email that is
>> older than 2 days old" that I can't find in the new system at all.

> [...]
The box I'm trying to move and upgrade was put together with horde rpms
and imp rpms, and turba rpms shortly thereafter. So the answer is that
I am not attempting  to upgrade Webmail 1.0. I don't think it existed
back then.

To be clear, I have the new WebMail Edition installed on a new server.
I'm basically trying to get the database moved.

Thanks
steve