[horde] Installing Horde without PEAR?

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Mon Aug 25 12:46:06 UTC 2014

On 25.08.2014 04:26, Michael M Slusarz wrote:
> Quoting Patrik Karisch <patrik.karisch at gmail.com>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> is there any way to install Horde without PEAR and so on not
>> system-wide? I don't like the thought to have no control of the
>> installation process and also installing it only once per system..
>>
>> Btw. PEAR is dead :P
>> http://fabien.potencier.org/article/72/the-rise-of-composer-and-the-fall-of-pear
>>

> This article is absurd.  "Remove PEAR from PHP packaging?"  Considering:
>
> 1. Composer can't install binary extensions - only PECL does this
> 2. PECL == PEAR
>
> ...it's hard to take any of this seriously.

Pear is far from dead. What's dead is fabien's pirum tool. Pear is
losing developer support with many 3rd party channels but for existing
products, it's still the documented way to go. This is much a developer
perspective vs consumer perspective debate. Plus, a lot of pear packages
end up being rolled into distributions (rpm, deb).

There is not yet a good agreed-upon way to package composer libraries
into distributions.

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer