[horde] Apache Performance tuning with Horde

Patrick De Zordo patrick at spamreducer.eu
Sat Dec 6 08:49:25 UTC 2014

> In current versions of Horde, there is essentially nothing that should be
> causing a CPU spike for more than a second.  If so, you have likely found
> bug.  In this case, there's a good chance that there is not a bug in our
code
> but rather the way an external device has implemented a protocol
> (ActiveSync).
>
> michael
>
> ___________________________________
> Michael Slusarz [slusarz at horde.org]

Dear Michael,
thank you for your response, I *think* there is a BUG or maybe possible
optimization possibility in horde..

First of all, I'm using horde from GIT master, so last version possible.
We are using dovecot as our mail-backend with some little optimized
parameters (it's more the basic installation..).
We are connecting to the test servers with a normal xDSL connection, so
there is some delay on transmission.

In small accounts, let's say a couple of folders and maybe 100 messages
there is just a little spike, maybe some milliseconds long;
but, in heavy accounts, I am speaking about 150 folders and 25k messages in
it, there is introduced a very big delay + CPU spike for some seconds (~2-6
sec) on every message change (new message coming in, mark as read, move from
one folder to another..

How do you handle this changes in code? Could it be possible you are looping
thru all the folders every time something is changing on one message?

I don't know you code very well, so I guess you, since you would know it!
;-)

Thank you!