[horde] horde on Dreamhost - Stalled pages

Luis Felipe Marzagao lfbm.andamentos at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 20:02:20 UTC 2014

On 05-12-2014 16:08, Jan Schneider wrote:

> Zitat von Luis Felipe Marzagao <lfbm.andamentos at gmail.com>:
>
>> Em 05/12/2014 10:40, Mauricio Jose T. Tecles escreveu:
>>>
>>> ----- Mensagem de Luis Felipe Marzagao <lfbm.andamentos at gmail.com>
>>> ---------
>>>   Data: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 22:49:09 -0200
>>>     De: Luis Felipe Marzagao <lfbm.andamentos at gmail.com>
>>> Assunto: [horde] horde on Dreamhost - Stalled pages
>>>   Para: horde at lists.horde.org

>>> ----- Final da mensagem de Luis Felipe Marzagao
>>> <lfbm.andamentos at gmail.com> -----
>>>
>>> Right permission for webserver user on horde files?
>>>

>> I don´t think so. I can change the configuration just fine via Horde.
>> Also, Nag, Turba an Mnemo work just fine. And test page does not show
>> any erros. IMP and Kronolith folders have the same permissions as the
>> other folders. It was all installed via PEAR. Same permissions for
>> all them.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

>>> Mauricio
>>>

>>> Maurício José T. Tecles
>>> Núcleo de Informática
>>> Instituto de Biofísica Carlos Chagas Filho - UFRJ
>>> mtecles at biof.ufrj.br
>>> Tel.: (21) 3938-6526 ou 3938-6544
>>>

>> --
>
> See the FAQ

Hello:

I've just solved the issue.

In case anybody is experiencing the same problem in Dreamhost + Horde 5,
here's what you should do.

Dreamhost does not provide a system wide pear installation, so you have
to install pear locally to your user, as described here [1].

As you can see, the way it's suggested in Dreamhost Wiki, you'll be
using pear with the ~/.pearrc file as configuration source file.

So in order to Horde work properly, you must follow the instruction
provided in horde/docs/INSTALL [2] and set the PHP_PEAR_SYSCONF_DIR to
your local pear folder (something like /home/youruser/pear).

You can set it in a .htaccess file in a top web folder (don't do it in
horde/.htaccess because it will be overwritten on next update).

It won't work right away, since pear internals will look for a file
called pear.conf and not your ~/.pearrc in the folder defined in
PHP_PEAR_SYSCONF_DIR.

So you can create a symbolic link to that file, something like this
(assuming you have installed pear in a folder called pear in your home
directory):

ln -s ~/.pearrc ~/pear/pear.conf

Now everything works as expected, except for the automated creation of
horde core databases, which I had to accomplish using horde-db-migrate,
but other than that, now it's working fine.

There are some alternatives, like creating a default pear.conf file as
described in the horde/docs/INSTALL or even setting the HOME environment
in the .htaccess (this way pear will find the .pearrc file and you won't
have to create a symbolic link), but I think the way proposed here is
more Dreamhost conforming.

Thanks.

Luis Felipe

[1] http://wiki.dreamhost.com/PEAR