[horde] Two Really Dumb Questions About Horde 5.2.1 Portal Blocks

Andy Dorman adorman at ironicdesign.com
Wed Jan 14 23:06:24 UTC 2015

After almost 18 months of poking and prodding the latest Horde Groupware
Webmail on a dev server in preparation for upgrading our ancient H3/I4
production service, we have finally upgraded our production service to
the latest debian Horde packages (H 5.2.1 / I 6.2.2).

Our heartfelt thanks go out to all the Horde developers and the members
of this mailing list for your work and sharing of your expertise.

And now as our users start to hit us with questions, we are discovering
all the little things we never thought to test or try out on the dev
server. ;-)  We would desperately appreciate it if anyone has an answer
to the following questions or a suggestion for a work-around:

1. How do you configure Horde to switch immediately to Imp after login?
  I have set Horde's prefs.local.php with

$_prefs['initial_application']['value'] = 'imp';

But all that seems to do is pre-select Imp in the user's Horde Display
Preferences->Display Options->What application should FanMailPlus
display after login?

And even after imp is selected for a user, after logging out and back in
the portal display still starts up instead of Imp.  I am sure I have
just missed something in Horde's config or prefs, but so far I have not
found it.

FWIW, the work around we have done is to define a nice default portal
block layout with Mail and Newest Unseen Messages on top in the first
column.  So it is obvious to a new user coming from the old system
(which started Imp after login) how to get to their email.

2. Once you use "+ Add Content" and define a new Horde portal block, how
do you get rid of it when you change your mind and decide you do not
want that block?  I bet I have missed a setting somewhere that disables
deleting of blocks, but I have not yet found it.  ;-)

Once I find some answers for my dumb questions I will edit the wiki to
pass these answers along to all the other Horde administrators.

Thanks again,

--
Andy Dorman