[horde] error when communicating with the mail server after upgrade

Arjen de Korte arjen+horde at de-korte.org
Wed Apr 29 19:35:10 UTC 2015

Citeren Andrew Watkins <andrew at dcs.bbk.ac.uk>:

> Hi,
>
> Just wondered if any one else is seeing this error. I just upgraded
> to webmail 5.2.6 from 5.2.4 and get a "error when communicating with
> the mail server" when I reading the e-mails.
>
> - can log into horde webmail
> - webmail displays the number of e-mails in inbox (Total = x)
> - when I go to list the e-mails nothing appears and "error when
> communicating with the mail server"
>
> I have upgraded a few times before with no problems.
>
> cat imp/config/backends.local.php
> $servers['imap'] = array(
>     // Disabled by default
>     'disabled' => false,
>     'name' => 'IMAP Server',
>     'hostspec' => 'imap.dcs.bbk.ac.uk',
>     'hordeauth' => true,
>     'protocol' => 'imap',
>     'port' => 143,
>     'secure' => 'false',
>     'maildomain' => 'dcs.bbk.ac.uk',
>     'smtphost' => 'smtp.dcs.bbk.ac.uk',
>     'smtpport' => 25,
>     'acl' => false,
>     'cache' => false,
>     'capability_ignore' => array('ESEARCH'),
>     'imap_config' => array(
>         'children' => false,
>         'namespace' => array(
>         ),
>         'search_charset' => array(
>             'UTF-8' => true
>         )
>     )
> );

The above backends.local.php is invalid. Do *not* define an array in
backends.local.php, but only override values that need changing from
the defaults provided in backends.php that is provided with the
version you're upgrading to. The correct format is in the header and
looks like

    <?php
    $servers['imap']['hostspec'] = 'imap.example.com';

It also looks like you have missed quite a few changes in the IMP
configuration over time (and possibly other applications too). Support
for the 'smtphost' and 'smtpport' for instance was removed with the
IMP upgrade from 5.x to 6.x, so this won't work anymore. Please have a
look at

    http://www.horde.org/apps/imp/docs/UPGRADING

for a list of changes. It is worth looking into this *before* upgrading.