[horde] Reading an e-mail with a TNEF attachment results in a PHP memory exhausted error

Paul Griffith paulg at cse.yorku.ca
Wed May 6 14:27:37 UTC 2015

Hi Horde Users,

I have been trying to debug a issue with a TNEF attachment. The
winmail.dat file is only 563KB in size and PHP is configured with a
256MB memory limit. When I try to ready the e-mail, I get the error:
"error when communicating with the mail server"  and the following in
the logs.

[Wed May 06 09:49:23 2015] [error] [client xx.xx.xx.xxx] PHP Fatal
error:  Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to
allocate 32 bytes) in /local/horde/pear/php/Horde/ErrorHandler.php on
line 156, referer: https://xxx.xxx.xxx.ca/imp/dynamic.php?page=mailbox

PHP options configured.

   php_flag  expose_php off
   php_flag  display_errors off
   php_flag  log_errors on
   php_flag  register_globals off
   php_flag  allow_url_include off
   php_value memory_limit 256M
   php_value post_max_size 20M
   php_value upload_max_filesize 10M

Yes, we are running the latest versions.

Any ideas, hints or suggestions are welcomed.

Thank You
Paul