[horde] ActiveSync disappearing and reappearing contacts

Matthias Marx mmarx at netdmon.de
Sun Jul 12 18:35:41 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

I have a strange problem with ActiveSync since a while but ignored it
since CardDav syncing is working as a workaround. Maybe someone has
the same issue or could point me in the right direction what's wrong
with my installation.

I have a very small horde installation where I used only one account
since a couple of years, this account is working fine. Recently I
added more user accounts, including a brand new test account, and they
are experiencing the following issue.

When I add the test account as and Exchange Account on a Nexus 5 or
Nexus 9 device the setup process is working fine. I'm using a self
signed certificate so I accept all SSL certificates during the setup
process and I'm currently only testing contacts syncing.
The contact syncing seems to work correctly and the contacts appear in
the devices address book but on the next sync operation all contacts
vanish from the device, they are still on the server(horde
webinterface) though. On the next sync all contacts reappear in the
address book, it's like toggling between "no contacts" and "all
contacts" between sync events. I also tried creating contacts on the
device while it was showing "no contacts" or "all contacts" but after
the next sync event those contacts are gone and they are not synced to
horde.
I have even seen, when I have a lot of contacts in the address book,
that the horde contacts appear one by one in devices address book
while it is syncing and at the end of the sync process, at the moment
it is finished, all contacts disappear from the device.

On a side note, for the calendar it is something similar. While the
device is syncing I see(can select) the test account calendar appear
in the calendar App but as soon as the syncing finishes the calendar
disappears from the device.

Here is the ActiveSync log of two syncs:
http://netdmon.de/public/2015-07-08_horde_active_sync.txt

There are no errors in the horde logfile, just the notice that the
user login succeeded.

If you need more information please ask. I can also provide access to
the test account and the ActiveSync log but not publicly.

Kind Regards

Matthias Marx