[horde] ActiveSync disappearing and reappearing contacts

Matthias Marx mmarx at netdmon.de
Mon Jul 13 09:31:02 UTC 2015

On Mon 13 Jul 2015 02:15:58 AM CEST, Michael J Rubinsky
<mrubinsk at horde.org> wrote:

> Quoting Matthias Marx <mmarx at netdmon.de>:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have a strange problem with ActiveSync since a while but ignored
>> it since CardDav syncing is working as a workaround. Maybe someone
>> has the same issue or could point me in the right direction what's
>> wrong with my installation.
>>
>> I have a very small horde installation where I used only one
>> account since a couple of years, this account is working fine.
>> Recently I added more user accounts, including a brand new test
>> account, and they are experiencing the following issue.
>>
>> When I add the test account as and Exchange Account on a Nexus 5 or
>> Nexus 9 device the setup process is working fine. I'm using a self
>> signed certificate so I accept all SSL certificates during the
>> setup process and I'm currently only testing contacts syncing.
>> The contact syncing seems to work correctly and the contacts appear
>> in the devices address book but on the next sync operation all
>> contacts vanish from the device, they are still on the server(horde
>> webinterface) though. On the next sync all contacts reappear in the
>> address book, it's like toggling between "no contacts" and "all
>> contacts" between sync events. I also tried creating contacts on
>> the device while it was showing "no contacts" or "all contacts" but
>> after the next sync event those contacts are gone and they are not
>> synced to horde.
>> I have even seen, when I have a lot of contacts in the address
>> book, that the horde contacts appear one by one in devices address
>> book while it is syncing and at the end of the sync process, at the
>> moment it is finished, all contacts disappear from the device.
>>
>> On a side note, for the calendar it is something similar. While the
>> device is syncing I see(can select) the test account calendar
>> appear in the calendar App but as soon as the syncing finishes the
>> calendar disappears from the device.
>>
>> Here is the ActiveSync log of two syncs:
>> http://netdmon.de/public/2015-07-08_horde_active_sync.txt
>>
>> There are no errors in the horde logfile, just the notice that the
>> user login succeeded.
>>
>> If you need more information please ask. I can also provide access
>> to the test account and the ActiveSync log but not publicly.
>
> This works fine locally on all of my actively tested Android
> devices, as well as a 5.0.1 emulator. Your log shows a normal sync
> cycle of requesting and receiving a single set of contact data
> consisting of 2 contacts.
>
> I noticed that you don't have any email folders being synced. Some
> clients don't behave very nicely when you do that so you might want
> to try synchronizing email as well to see if that helps.

Hi Mike,

thanks for looking into it. I tried enabling the e-mail sync as well
as a result the behavior changed. Now, while the device(Nexus 5, with
Android 5.1.1) is syncing the two contacts appear, then disappear,
then appear again and finally disappear, then the sync is finished. I
tried it a couple of times, here is the log, but I see no obvious
errors there either.
http://netdmon.de/public/2015-07-13_horde_active_sync.txt

Also my primary horde account, which is also enabled on this device,
is working fine, btw. there I don't have e-mail syncing enabled, only
calendar and contacts.

Thanks

Matthias Marx