[horde] Complex MIME structure and Outlook with Exchance Active Sync

Bjoern Voigt bjoernv at arcor.de
Wed Sep 2 15:20:01 UTC 2015

My users complained, that some of their mails are not shown
correctly in Outlook 2013. The example mails contain a HTML body and
an ICS calendar event attachment. The MIME structure of such mails
is quiet complex:

    ... mail header

    ------=_Part_612210_854769737.1441205167596

    ------=_Part_612211_1596854976.1441205167596

    ... plain text

    ------=_Part_612211_1596854976.1441205167596

    ...HTML text
    ------=_Part_612211_1596854976.1441205167596--

    ------=_Part_612210_854769737.1441205167596

    ...Base64 coded ICS calendar event
    ------=_Part_612210_854769737.1441205167596--

For testing I set up Outlook 2013 with two identical accounts, one
with IMAP and one with Exchange Active Sync to Horde/Groupware (5.2.10).

I found, that mails in Exchange Active Sync account are changed very
much compared with the mail source on mailserver and compared with
the IMAP mail copy.

Fields like

  * headers like From, Subject ... (line breaks, character sets ...)
  * Boundary (in Content-Type header)
  * HTML content

are changed.

For instance

in the original mail file (and in IMAP) will be

Content-Type multipart/mixed; boundary="=_u0lCRt-yWhSaSeK8u9bpda_"

in Outlook using Exchange Active Sync.

My questions:

  * Does Horde transfer the complete mails 1:1 using Exchange Active
    Sync?
  * Are there any problems with Horde Active Sync and complex MIME
    structures?
  * If Horde is not the source of the problem, which additional
    tools tend to change mail headers and content. (I have a complex
    setup with Linux and Windows Antivirus programs and filters like
    Procmail.)

Greetings,
Björn