[horde] Active Sync makes a rather slow impression

Jens Hellermann hellermann at we-do.com
Thu Sep 10 08:06:27 UTC 2015

Am 08.09.2015 um 14:05 schrieb Michael J Rubinsky:

> Quoting Jens Hellermann <hellermann at we-do.com>:

>>> The slowdown is most likely NOT due to any server resource usage -
>>> as you can see by your server stats. This is probably due to OL's
>>> speed in parsing and/or requesting each set of mail messages. IIRC,
>>> I've seen OL request between 5 and 50 messages per request and new
>>> requests are not made immediately after the previous one finishes
>>> (probably to improve responsiveness of OL during the long initial
>>> sync while still allowing NEW email messages to arrive before the
>>> intial sync is finished). As far as I know there is no way to change
>>> this behavior. You can verify this by following the sync log of an
>>> attached OL client.
>>>
>> Hello Michael, first things first thanks a lot for your quick
>> response. I understand that Outlook needs some time to synchronize,
>> but my impression is that the system became slower with every new
>> mail account I synchronize. What makes it difficult for me to analyze
>> the situation is that I have problems setting up Activesync for
>> logging per device (or single file at the moment). This weekend I
>> upgraded everything to the newest version of Horde 5.2.10 . Maybe
>> logging is a little buggy (or me!). The entries in the gui result in
>> these entries in the conf.php:
>>
>> $conf['activesync']['logging']['path'] = '/var/log/activesync';
>> $conf['activesync']['logging']['level'] = '2';
>> $conf['activesync']['logging']['type'] = 'perdevice';
>>
>> The folder has been given the right permissions but even after a
>> reboot no files ever show up in it. If I give folder path
>> '/var/log/activesync/' I kill horde more or less completely.
>>
>> Can you confim this behaviour,
>
> No. Logging works fine for me, with those exact same settings
> (assuming the /var/log/activesync directory exists).

Hi Michael, OK it just takes some time until it activates (even after
restarting lighttpd). So now I can logg per device and that client which
made such a slow impression stops syncing after ~8GB and the last
message in the log reads:

2015-09-10T09:53:10+02:00 INFO: [2036] Maximum memory usage for
ActiveSync request: 64225280 bytes.

This Email-Account has more than 50 folders and subfolders. So should I
raise the maximum Memory for ActiveSync requests? If yes, where could I
do so? Kind regards, Jens.